WAEC BECE New Grading System 2021: How To Calculate Results
The Basic Education Certificate Examination which takes place normally in June every year has to be rescheduled because of the pandemic. The 2021 examination is set to last for five days starting from Monday, November 15th to Friday 19th November 2021.
After this, the results are expected to be released 45 days or more after the last paper. Hence, the need for students to know how they are grade and the grading system. In this article, we will discuss what the grading system is, how to calculate results and grades with their interpretations.
What is the Grading System for BECE 2021?
The BECE grading system is used to grade students based on their academic performance. Both the Ghana Education Service (GES) and Senior High School (SHS) prospective students take this examination seriously.
The BECE grading system plays a vital role in knowing the quality of BECE results as well as students’ placement.
How to Calculate BECE Results for School Placement
The BECE exam is one of the most important examinations in Ghana’s education system. To help your performance and confidence, it is important to understand the WAEC grading system and the procedure used by the examination body to calculate BECE results.
The idea is that students should make a conscious effort that will give them access to reputable senior high schools in the country.
We are going to show you a step-by-step guide on how to calculate BECE results.
- Marking using the marking scheme is the first step when computing BECE results. From the marking process, you get to know the wrong and right answers per subject.
- Count the number of correct answers and note them down.
- Divide the correct answers by the total number of questions asked.
- The quotient should be in decimal points or a fraction.
- Multiply the quotient by 100% to get a percentage. Note: This calculation is done on the individual subject.
- With the percentage in hand, pull out the grading table as prepared using the stanine method or the new flexible 9-scale criterion-referenced grading system and match your raw score, i.e., 60% to the marks on the chart.
- Once you have identified its rightful place, you will be able to know its corresponding grade, following the 1 to 9 grading strategy.
How does WAEC grade their scores for BECE 2021?
Below are marks and their grades in BECE.
- 90-100 is graded as 1, GRADE AA+. It is the HIGHEST grade in the grading system.
- 80-89, the second category in this classification is graded as 2, GRADE A. it is denoted as HIGHER.
- 70-79, is grade 3, a B+ and is described as HIGH.
- 60 -69 is grade 4, GRADE B, described as HIGH AVERAGE.
- 55 – 60 is GRADE C+, classified as 5 and described as AVERAGE.
- LOW AVERAGE is a description of marks falling between 50-54 and GRADE C; number 6 in the grading system.
- Any mark ranging between 40-49 is considered as GRADE D+ and number 7; described as LOW
- 35-39 is GRADE E which is number 8, described as LOWER in the Stanine grading system.
- GRADE F, 9 characterized by 9 is the LOWEST grade, which falls between 0-34.
How to calculate BECE Results
The BECE results are calculated using the 6 best subjects from your results. These include the 3 best core subjects (Maths, English, Inter-Science, and Social) with maths and English are a must among the core subjects. You can select from science and social the one which is best for the calculation.
Eg. Assuming a student has the below results in his or her BECE exams;
|Integrated Science||4||High Average|
|Religious and Moral Education||5||Average|
|Information and Communication Technology||6||Low Average|
Here, to obtain your grade, you will take the first best core ( English, Mathematics, and Integrated Science) => 1+2+3 = 6
Now Look through your results and get 3 best elective subjects ( Info. & Comm. Tech, B.D.T, and Frech) => 6+7+8 = 21
Your grade will now be 6+21=27
In this case, the candidate has obtained an aggregate 9 in the above results.
The better your BECE grade the greater your chances of getting placed into the school of your choice. The GES uses the Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) to place students into different schools across the country.
- Non Tertiary Programmes Available at Koforidua Technical University for the 2021/2022 Academic Year
- GES Recruitment of Information Technology Coordinator
- Ghana Armed Forces Recruitment for 2022/2023-Apply Now
- Appointment as SHS and Technical Institutions Administrative Staff
- Vacancies for National Service Personnel 2022/2023 Academic Year at UG
Join Our Group For More Updates Via WHATSAPPS: Join Group Here
Will I get saint louie if i had aggregate 9 in bece?
Your Comment; i think i haved been cheated with my ICT,social studies,BDT.And i can’t sleep
Please the waec should remark my Bdt and ict scripts
Will I get Accra academy if I get 13 in bece
Will I get Accra academy if I get 13 in bece
If l got grade 32 in my bece but l didn’t get F9 and D8 in all the subject plsease l will get school.
If l got grade 32 in my bece but l didn’t get D8 and F9 in all the subject plsease did l get school.
So can i get grab 15